As I recently mentioned, I’m about to attempt a thru-hike the Appalachian Trail. While I’m sure this list will change drastically as I go, I thought I’d share the equipment I’ll be starting out with. Disclaimer: most links are affiliate links.
- Pocket knife (Victorinox Swiss Army)
- Keychain flash light
- Large external USB battery (heavy, but useful in an emergency; will probably end up being the first thing to go)
- Smart phone (HTC One) (and an app to check in with of course…)
- Trekking poles (REI Carbon Power Lock)
- Water filter (MSR Miniworks EX, later upgraded to a Sawyer PointOne Squeeze)
- Sanitary / Safety
I’m still considering carrying a camera (not my 7D). I don’t want to take the extra weight, and my phone has a camera already, but I want to conserve the batteries for emergencies and I’d like a better lens. I keep going back and forth.
Update: I eventually purchased a camera; an EOS M with a 22mm prime lens.